Unicare Logo

Unclaimed Checks – Do We Have Your Money?

UniCare is reaching out to members and providers to whom it has issued checks that have not been cashed. This outreach includes sending a letter to the payee at the last known address, which often defaults to the address the original payment was issued.  State law requires that after attempting to contact the owners via “due diligence” letters, all checks that remain uncashed for set periods of time must be remitted to the State. Please click on this link to see a sample letter. 
To claim these funds, please complete the information requested on the letter that you received; make a copy for your records; and mail the original to the address listed on the top of the letter. This completed form must be postmarked by the date specified on your letter. This deadline is determined based upon State reporting due dates; therefore, we urge you to comply no later than this date. If your response is received late, and cannot be processed, you will have to claim your funds directly from the State they were escheated to. Since the State must load the data received from various different reporting companies, you may have to wait several months before the State can process your request.
What is an unclaimed fund or property?   
Unclaimed property for this purpose consists of funds or checks that are uncashed or uncollected by the owner for a number of years. The process of sending the property to the State is called ‘escheatment’.  
Why am I just receiving notification?   
State law requires that we remit all unclaimed funds to the State after the stipulated number of years contained within each state’s regulations. We are required to attempt to locate and notify the payee of the check, giving the payee the opportunity to establish their rightful ownership, prior to remitting the funds to the appropriate state.  
Why is my written response required?  
To prevent this check from being escheated (remitted to the State). After contacting the Holder (Anthem Companies), the owner must complete the requested information and attach required documentation. An e-mail or telephone inquiry will not replace this requirement. In order to ensure that this property is not remitted to the State, responses must be received in writing and delivered to the address listed at the top of the letter by the date specified on your letter.  
Why are the last 4 digits of my Social Security Number or Employer Identification Number required?  
This is the most reliable information available to confirm you are the intended payee. We use your response to confirm that it agrees with the information associated with this payment.   
...but I never received the check(s)  
It is possible that this original check has been left uncashed because it was lost in the mail, it had an incorrect address, or it was misplaced upon receipt. This notification is the Company’s final attempt to locate the owner and deliver these funds before the funds are delivered to the State.    
What is this check in regard to?  
Unfortunately, due to the age of the original check, business and system mergers, specific information relating to the nature of the check is not readily available. A majority of unclaimed checks have been issued on systems that have now been retired and obtaining detailed information is not possible. We regret any inconvenience this may cause in assisting you with additional payment information.  
How do I complete the form if my name changed?   
If your name has changed, please send evidence documenting the name change. Examples include, but are not limited to: Marriage Certificate, Divorce Decree, or Adoption records.  
The payee is a business. How do I complete the form?  
Please provide your name and title when responding on behalf of your provider or business. If you are requesting an address change, please provide documentation, such as letterhead or a business card attached to this completed form.   
The payee has since deceased. How do I complete the form?  
If the payee is deceased, we recommend reissuing the payment to the deceased payee. Present the reissued check to your bank with documentation that identifies you as the beneficiary or executor. You should also bring a certified copy of the Death Certificate and a copy of one or more of the following documents: Will, Trust, Probate Order, Power of Attorney or Affidavit.  If there is no Estate, an affidavit can be obtained from your local Probate Court office.   
We must receive your completed response postmarked by the date specified on your letter. Thank you for helping us to manage the large volume of these compliance letters by complying with this request.